Clicky

Nakita

Crazy 24 hours

So for people wondering why I dropped off the face of the internet yesterday, here is a little bit of a update on what happened:

Around 3:30pm, internet, tv services went down. 2 minutes later, the trash truck rolls through. Turns out that its arm hit the cable amp box, and cracked the equipment inside of it, making the signal drop throughout the block. I get the run around by comcast, and they delay the truck to fix it to today.

Truck rolls in at 7:40am, I get out, shower, get ready for work and go outside to go take a look at the work they are doing. Another truck rolls in to start the repairs on the line.

Here is where things get a bit interesting.

One of the neighbors down the block walks out, and comments that she smelled smoke, notably, not wood smoke. I look around, and see the smoke coming from the oposite block from my house. I ran around, and sure enough, a bag containing solvent rags and about 20 pounds of sawdust is sitting on this persons porch was on fire, and was starting to make the siding of the house melt and begin to catch as well. Across from that house, a lady was already calling 911, so I run over to the side of the house and look to see if there was a hose there, which there was. I pull it out and turn the water on, and douse the fire before it really had a chance to ignite the house. Fire Dept. rolls in, I explain what had happened, and they all give me a handshake and a thanks for pretty much saving this persons house.

Turns out what had happened, is the black trashbag was on the east side of the house, the early morning sun was heating it up and the rags had caught fire from all the solvents they had been soaked in. It was also lucky that we had noticed the smoke when we did, because of the sawdust that the flames really hadn't had a chance to light and they may have caused a much larger fire that a hose won't have been able to be put out.

So! I will talk to you all later tonight, since I am currently at work. XP

Good job Karl!

Those contractors clearly didn't do their health and safety training. The first thing we learned when I was training to be an electrician was that Oil or solvents + rags are the largest cause of fire in the work place.

Well, yeah, I mean, it was in a BLACK bag sitting on the east side of the house, in the morning. That bag had to have been cooking pretty hot from the sun, which just helped it ignite.

Reminds me of my pyromaniac days of playing with oils + rags = ignites itself. 004.png

I also have a nice burn mark on my leg from it. 012.png

Reminds me of the one day that me and my Dad nearly burned down our house, the neighbor's house, and both of our 80-acre lots with them.

Colorado, VERY hot and dry August day, broad daylight. We lived out in the prairie, about 2-5 miles from the rockies, and we have virtually no grass. It's all dry brush, tumbleweeds, and small cactus plants.

Dad and i decide to go out shooting at our makeshift shooting range about 50-100 yards from our house, so we take out the AK's, some Handguns, our two Browning .30cals (One in .308 and the other in 30-06), and our big baby, the Browning M2. Well, Dad has a brainfart in the process of getting .30cal ammo ready and forgets to remove the Tracer rounds from the Belts in the cans.

So we set up a .30, and bust off about 10 rounds or so. 3 tracers go winging right into the giant shrub patch in front of the dirt burm, and catch fire instantly.

We literally stood there and blinked for about...8 seconds at most, and then the entire burm was in flames. The next 2 hours or so was spent doing home-made Firefighting, in which 40 of our acres was charred black, and about 40 of the neighbor's (Which was thankfully an empty lot) was charred. We held it off with mop buckets, recycle bins, trashcans, a water hose, and a Minivan, until finally my Dad finally said "We're boned, call the fire department." Now, my dad has the mentality of George Patton, so him having a "We're Boned" moment was pivotal.

I literally imitated a Kenyan back to the house, called the Fire department, told them where we were, and as they were arriving, we packed all of the weapons into the van, because the Po-po wouldn't like seeing an array of Large mounted weapons in someone's yard. Now, my Dad was 54 at the time, multiple blown out disks in his back, healed broken neck, damaged kneecap. He literally yanked the .50cal off of the quad-mount fully assembled, and launched it into the back of the minivan. The mount was just as bad, since the base is made of solid brass.

We drove off and back to the rental the family had, since the Prairie house was under construction, and my Dad was like "Son, you've got some serious balls. Most kids would see that and go curl up in their rooms and hide."

First real compliment and thank you i've really recieved from my father since i was 9 or 10 years old.