Clicky

Eriksson Foxtrot

Internet Service Provider Survey

Internet Service Provider in North America  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which ISP do you have?

Road Runner and its total crap. The unfortunate side effect of moving to a location not suitable for DSL (or wanting to add a landline, proxy or otherwise). Apparently not as bad as others, but I don't intend to find out and waste my time.

Used to have Verizon and their call support is crap, but they can at least tell you if a router is out in your area or there is service being done, rather than cable 'not being able to connect to your modem' which is duh obvious before even calling them.

My ISP is a local company called US SONET, which funnels broadband internet access into this rural area from their backbone company, Qwest. Fiberoptic data connection, phone/TV/internet package. Was pretty fucking state-of-the-art back in like 2003 when we got it.

SONET is actually pretty okay. Tech support is never unpleasant because whenever I call in my uncle picks up so I'm like "Yeah, hey Gary. Internet shit out again. Oh it's down everywhere? Shit. When'll it be back up? Tomorrow? Fuck. Oh well. How're the kids doing?"

Problem is, especially lately, that the Qwest has just been goddamn terrible. Like "my ping has been over 1000 for the past hour what is going on" terrible.

Telus, which only recently realized that when one is having trouble connecting to the internet, they can't connect to the tech support website either. It also charges out the ass for pitiful connection speeds just because they can (I pay $44/month for a 150kb/s download speed).

Telus, which only recently realized that when one is having trouble connecting to the internet, they can't connect to the tech support website either. It also charges out the ass for pitiful connection speeds just because they can (I pay $44/month for a 150kb/s download speed).

Holy crap... I pay $60/month for Unlimited Bandwidth, and 5MB D/L speeds. I am with Primus, got a good deal on a bundle so I left Bell and went with Primus, because in my area Primus rents Bell wires, so its the same service, but $100 cheaper. Seriously. Haven't had major issues with them, been actually pretty decent so far.

I had Knology but their service went down for about 2 months, and they wouldn't credit me for it because It "worked" enough to them. Anyway, I'm on Bright House Networks and Road Runner grabbing the Turbo package of 20Mb down and 5Mb up for $40 unlimited. So far its been reliable, and their support call center is about 15 miles away so you can actually understand them. Lovin it so far.

Used to have Verizon and their call support is crap, but they can at least tell you if a router is out in your area or there is service being done, rather than cable 'not being able to connect to your modem' which is duh obvious before even calling them.

I've actually had really good experiences with Verizon support. Got lucky enough, the one time I actually couldn't fix the problem myself, to have my call answered by someone who most definitely knew what they were doing.

ALSO, WHATEVER YOU DO, NEVER EVER EVER GET CLEARWIRE.

I have Qwest which is shit. It's the only thing we get out here and I pay $25/mo. for 150kb/s, which I actually only get about 125kb/s of.

I've been paying for Qwest for 10 years, and I've had my current modem for five, yet when the modem is dying due to how old it is they won't replace it :angry: . At least all the customer support employees I've gotten so far are very nice.

I am with Rogers, one of hte major canadian companies.

In short its not worth it. Like all Canadian ISPs, it engages in over charging.

The idea of Steam is HORRIBLE with Rogers. Just playing WoW, with all its patches, I regularly got near enough to my bandwidth caps to be warned, only hit my bandwidth cap twice. And considering how much their overuse charges are, yeah, thats the main reason I fear using Steam. I do NOT want to download everything and be charged out the ass. Speed wise, I got no complaints. Connectivity is good. Just bandwidth is horrible. And I pay 60 bucks a month.