Clicky

Ron Bleac

World War II Online: Battleground Europe

flagbigde.jpg

Thread music.

From the desk of Oberkommando Der Wehrmacht.

Guten tag, my most esteemed colleagues from zhe great lands of zhe internetz. WWIIOL is a World War 2 based MMOFPS similar to Planetside, except less shit.

It is a time of great crisis. The Axis team, having dispensed great misery on their enemies, are still losing the war. We need YOU to bolster the ranks of the German Wehrmacht and win the war back.

Volunteer today! And receive a sum of 200 Deutschmarks. Express your willingness at your nearest recruitment center.

WWIIOL is a real time MMOFPS with over 6000 players competing daily on a map the size of Western Europe, stretching from Dunkirk to Frankfurt. Created in 1999, WWIIOL has lasted for nearly a decade and has constantly developed in a better direction. With a playerbase that reaches across the globe and expands daily, it offers a unique communal experience. Ever wished for the SL military community to be less full of drama, shit and YIFFYFURACTIONYFURACTIONYFURACTIONYFURACTIONYFURACTIONYFURACTIONYFURACTIONYFURACTIONYFURACTION? Well now you know where to find it.

battlegroundeurope2.jpg

battlegroundeurope40.jpg

As a note, all of the tanks and infantry you see in those screenshots are players. They're not AI. WWIIOL is pretty real when it comes to squadplay, so you'll see stuff like that happen regularly. It's a game that relies on co-operation very heavily.

WWIIOL has a two week free trial that you can find and download with little trouble at: Battleground Europe

I'm too tired to type up a huge paragraph about this, but hey. Aryte played it before he created the Ordo. That has to mean something, right?

SO SIGN UP TODAY AND THROW YOUR LIFE AWAY. S! Team Axis!

P.S

Join my Div. and Kg! I recently became an officer for the Axis High Command.

Wehrmacht (German Army) / 3 Panzer Division / 3. Kampfgruppe (3PzD3Kg)

It's one of the few games I can play for a long period of time without crashing horribly. Also, I recommend avoiding aircraft unless you're good with WW2 Flight simulators and have a joystick. Yes, you do have to work your way upwards to use better gear, but you can train a lot to improve your skills, and I or Ron would happily explain the basics of the game.

I tried to play this for about an hour, seeing as i had apparently created an account back in 2006, but never bothered to subscribe. After the hour of playtime, i basically exited the game and uninstalled it. After the shenanigans that i'd witnessed over that hour, i figured it would be better to wait until SOE pulls their heads outta their asses and makes a F2P section of Planetside.

Reasons why:

1: There's only one actual populated world. Past that, there's a half-full one and a bunch of empty ones.

2: Defense gets base-raped by Sniper Teams, backed up by Armor Support. You can't take a single step near any objective (Or near them) without taking one to the chest by some random sniper somewhere.

3: People are REALLY unrealistic with the Infantry combat. I popped out of a point, and ran around trying to help for 15 minutes. When i finally found a target, i crouched, took aim, and fired, followed by the enemy immediately taking aim and hitting me directly in the chest at 50 yards. (Note: He was at full standing sprint with a .303 Enfield.)

4: (In my opinion, my most notable annoyance:) I couldn't figure out how to invert my mouselook controls for Infantry. I didn't see an option, a button, a setting, anything. I can't STAND using regular mouse settings. Personally, if i could figure this one out, i might actually reconsider trying to play with my free account.

I should probably write a guide to prevent things like that. Generally, when you're moving around in WWIIOL you want to run around in the bushlines. Just follow a more experienced player, they generally know where to go without getting killed. Gunplay in the game is sometimes greatly affected by lag, seeing infantry shooting at full sprint is rare, because shooting isn't actually possible when you're 'sprinting.' By the time you see them and they see you, they've come to a halt and have shouldered their rifle towards you. It's all latency, so you have to be sure to get the first shot off. You'll find the player controls in the brigade screen in the "options" menu, visible either on the top left or top right of the screen. Defense gets base raped, yes, but that's because you're joining a defense that's already been camped by either the Allies or the Axis. What you want to do if you're a new player is get in on some good attacks, which gives you the option to maneuver rather than sit still or die trying. If you want to go for a more realistic approach to the game, find a squad to play with. There's a couple of great ones willing to help newbies.

Also, I'm generally online on WWIIOL all day every day. Thank God for dual monitors. Message me in-game sometime! Finsol20's the nickname, you'll find me on the Axis HC list. Use /hc in the chat bar to see if I'm around.

I should probably write a guide to prevent things like that. Generally, when you're moving around in WWIIOL you want to run around in the bushlines. Just follow a more experienced player, they generally know where to go without getting killed. Gunplay in the game is sometimes greatly affected by lag, seeing infantry shooting at full sprint is rare, because shooting isn't actually possible when you're 'sprinting.' By the time you see them and they see you, they've come to a halt and have shouldered their rifle towards you. It's all latency, so you have to be sure to get the first shot off. You'll find the player controls in the brigade screen in the "options" menu, visible either on the top left or top right of the screen. Defense gets base raped, yes, but that's because you're joining a defense that's already been camped by either the Allies or the Axis. What you want to do if you're a new player is get in on some good attacks, which gives you the option to maneuver rather than sit still or die trying. If you want to go for a more realistic approach to the game, find a squad to play with. There's a couple of great ones willing to help newbies.

Also, I'm generally online on WWIIOL all day every day. Thank God for dual monitors. Message me in-game sometime! Finsol20's the nickname, you'll find me on the Axis HC list. Use /hc in the chat bar to see if I'm around.

Good Deal Ron, thanks. I'll be sure to pick the game back up later on today and try to get a better grasp of things. Since their extended trial option only allows me to be either a Rifleman or a Submachine Gunner (And their Paratrooper variants), i may not be as useful as one would imagine. :3 On a positive note though, i can set myself up to take up seats in other players' vehicles, so i can probably be the gunner of some armor or the tailgunner of a Bomber.

Dude, Ron's Axis High Command, and I'm planning to apply in March for HC myself. My game name is mrtretiak, I'm in the StG2 Sqaud, whcih specializes in Luftwaffe Stuka raids and bombing runs, and the current best Stuka pilots out there. To be honest, though, my strengths lie in Infantry engagements and naval warfare, I think.

Dude, Ron's Axis High Command, and I'm planning to apply in March for HC myself. My game name is mrtretiak, I'm in the StG2 Sqaud, whcih specializes in Luftwaffe Stuka raids and bombing runs, and the current best Stuka pilots out there. To be honest, though, my strengths lie in Infantry engagements and naval warfare, I think.

I've kinda taken a liking to Armor myself. I just get annoyed because i have to work two different positions with my Panzer II at the same time. Also, i always seem to spawn on the other side of the country, compared to where i need to go.

I think I already told Ron, I played this game for 2 years and got tired of paying monthly so I stopped playing, my username used to be "Lorondo".

I'm enthusiast with this idea and if I have money to expend on this kind of things, I will.

But for now, don't count on me.

They've put a free-to-play option into the game, from what i see. The only issue is that it SEVERELY limits your options. You can only reach level 2, play a Rifleman or Submachine Gunner, and a few other things. But i will say that it'll let you play the first few tiers of the vehicles, seeing as i could spawn a Panzer II on my own without any problems. I think i might actually enjoy being a tank driver. :3

I played for a bit wanting to fly fighters / fighter bombers but for some reason I cant keep those planes up in the air even though i can normally fly a 747 on its side through the grand canyon with FSX on realistic.

Also as a 'grunt' the bolt action kinda sucks if everyone on the other side has sniper rifles / smg's / hmg's

The bolt action is pretty damn reliable if you know how to use it. I've stormed buildings with a Kar98K and killed up to 6 French and British armed with rifles, SMGs and LMGs. The trick to fighting with a rifle is staying out of range of enemy automatic fire, or not being spotted. Flying isn't easy, I recommend you go through the flight tutorials.

Try hitting a target from 500 meters with a SMG. The trick to using a rifle is knowing it's limitations. Your engagement range is large. You are also more mobile than a LMG. More accurate than a SMG. And for snipers, you have the edge when it comes to situational awareness. Whenever they're looking down that scope, they have no peripheral vision. Use that to your advantage.

They've put a free-to-play option into the game, from what i see. The only issue is that it SEVERELY limits your options. You can only reach level 2, play a Rifleman or Submachine Gunner, and a few other things. But i will say that it'll let you play the first few tiers of the vehicles, seeing as i could spawn a Panzer II on my own without any problems. I think i might actually enjoy being a tank driver. :3

Really? I didn't know that, you gotta link?