Clicky

Aryte

Unlocking Equivalents?

>>> The Ordo Imperialis

>>> Unlocking Equivalents?

The idea was proposed a couple weeks back during a meeting. Should our weaponry (maybe only explosive and heavy weaponry) unlocks extend into purchased weapons? Currently, we do not allow for the use of jetpacks (for example, a purchased one from Syl) unless you have already unlocked the Ordo jetpack. Should this extend into the use of heavier weapons, such as the Fury of Saints? For example, if someone wanted to use a rocket launcher (approved, of course) he or she purchased, he or she would have to already have unlocked the Ordo equivalent. Thoughts?

That's a good question and I think it's an idea worth exploring.

Weapons are expensive, no doubt. Enforcing what people can use from what they can buy might harbor some ill feelings. But, they may be minimal.

Back in the day, I looked forward to unlocks, because guns are expensive and I'd rather use Ordo issue.

Putting this idea into effect would strengthen the significance of unlocks. We already regulate the use of special weapons such as rocket launchers and miniguns via OIC. That's a rather small catagory of weapons right there. It wouldn't be like regulating a vast majority of purchased weapons.

Edited by Sosarin Demar

Bad idea all around. Attempting to limit outside weapons employed? Already done to the degree of OIC discretion on usage of 'overkill' sorts of armaments, as mentioned. Beyond that, everything else is within the same general class of weapons issued from the start (SMG/AR). Further limiting the weapons people can employ that are not standard Ordo issue - purchased with their own funds - would not lead to anything enjoyable. Part of the beauty of SL linden-based damage combat is being able to use a wide array of weapons from all over to best suit your needs and aesthetics.

Even though this regulation would not effect me and a good many others, it would lead to absolutely nothing positive whatsoever.

I think the only things that should be limited are miniguns, explosives such as the Pilum or Adjudicator, and perhaps shotguns, but that's iffy. Perhaps light machine guns such as the AXE and XAR-9 could fall under the minigun category as well, due to the sheer volume of bullets they can spit out.

There's very little discrepancy from one assault rifle / sub-machine gun to another. They all spray bullets at varying rates of fire / accuracy, and these bullets always kill in one hit. It'd be hard to justify preventing someone from using an assault rifle if they have a SMG, as aside from aesthetics there is very little difference.

Interesting Idea...

Heavier weapons, possibly, it a firther control on their deployment, though in general I do not personally see excesive amounts of fire being used.

The only problem is especially with miniguns/mashine guns where does the diferential between high capacity rifle (or even SMG) and LMG/GPMG actually starts?

Stuff that you do not normally have to ask for permission to use from the OIC, General small arms, Pistols, SMGs, Assault Rifles, possibly as far as Shotguns & Sniper Rifles, no probably not a good idea there.

Trevor, its not exactly abuse unless we were all restricted to some lower standard, like a pistol (semi-auto, low capacity) to where the 'rich' would have some advantage by purchasing outside weaponry for use.

That, and they all generally function the same in this realm, so deviations are mostly cosmetic.

Well, as a guideline, we could use our own standard issue weaponry.

The standard assault rifles can only carry 30 or 50 rounds in damage mode. Our SMGs don't go much higher either.

Anything over, say, 75 rounds could probably be safely considered an LMG. The AXE caps at 100 rounds, the X-AR9 has a 100 round variation, and the Cruor has a 200 round capacity.

I'm on the fence about this. On one hand it makes the unlocks more valuable. Depending on how unlocks of heavy weapons are handled (with perhaps extra education on appropriate deployment or something) it could also limit heavy weapon use to those who are qualified for them. I don't know if this is going to be part of the idea though.

On the other hand the unlocks are supposed to be a reward (free gun woo) and rather than rewarding people, this rule would withhold things from them instead... things they probably already own, considering that most of us spend some money on guns just for variety. We also have rules in place already to limit the use of explosive weapons (issued or commercial) and not many commercial explosives even qualify for our use. And finally, this is probably going to open up a whole new realm of enforcement issues.

As for jetpacks, we don't want absolutely everyone to use a jetpack all the time, but unlike heavy weapons we seem to have no rule currently to limit their deployment... other than having to unlock it first. So I think that rule should stay for sure on jetpacks unless there's a better solution in the works.

I'm actually for restrictions. Why? Because technically those restrictions are already in place. The only difference is where the restriction is coming from, either the OIC or from the unlock regulations. I myself am getting tired of watching our sim bog down because 7 people are all using miniguns on a single person. And I think that leaving it unrestricted would make unlocks be even less rewarding. Why, say, put a lot of effort into earning unlocks when with just a little cash you can buy equivalents?

Look at a lot of other militaries. They often restrict outside weapons entirely. We're a bit more lenient, but I still think there should be a line somewhere.

As mentioned, heavy weapons are already restricted in their deployments as it stands. It isn't an issue of heavy weapons, its an issue of restricting usage of outside weapons in accordance with equivalent unlocks. Jetpacks are another issue similar to heavy weapons and explosives; they aren't necessary most of the time, nor should they be used all the time.

I'd have to say heavier arms only. As others have already mentioned, the difference between an assault rifle and an SMG in SL are almost entirely cosmetic. But commercial miniguns/HMGs and explosives should be tied to the unlocking of their issued equivalent. From my standpoint small arms shouldn't e fretted about; getting nit-picky about someone using a MM Carbine when they're only an Astra E-2 with the SMG pack so far seems a bit overly critical. We already regulate commercial arms to those that are well established and trusted within Ordo.

I would say no to restrictions on the use of commercial weaponry just because you haven't "unlocked" the ordo equivalent for most things. The only weaponry i would say yes to restrictions on would be the Rocket launcher and the minigun. There is no real point to restricting the use of smaller arms such ass assault rifles, pistols, smgs, and shotguns.

I think we should limit the use of miniguns, LMG's, explosive weapons and jetpacks...

As all three can be over-used and often are.

Miniguns and LMG's are a problem as it stands, as miniguns have a large volume of fire and LMG's have a large capacity. This leads to a culture of spamming the shit out of our foes with bullets.

Personally i'd prefer to see only Antesegnani carry miniguns, but as we have a few people with this unlock already it would be a bit unfair.

To restrict any weapons that are not unlocked aside from melee, pistols, rifles, SMG's, AR's and shotguns is the best course of action in my opinion.

However... I would like the method of classification to be very accurate when it comes to these weapons. We need to test each and every issued and commercial weapon we allow, and classify them based on set rules. Then make this information readily available so people can plan their unlocks and what have you before making commercial purchases.

At the same time we can test them for script time and build efficiency, to decide wether their use is appropriate in Titan.

Edited by Niiya Narayan

With the massive heavy weapons, its already in place.. but for the other ones, I'd say not to.

I'd keep it by situation, not unlock.

If we are in a small assault or high lag, Yeah, count the AXE's, FA-6's, Ganz's, Cerberus', and Fury of Saints, ect as heavy weapons, and go by situation and type.

In normal combat though, Asking someone (like me :>) to take off their pump action 590A1 because they dont have the shotgun unlock doesn't seem "fair".

Furthermore, on some raids its already specified Ordo Euippment Only which does not mean "Ordo Approved". If its not approved, why is it on in the first place >.>

But Yeah..

Rambles :D