Clicky

Aryte

Idea: Roman Ranks

Change ranks?1  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Should we change the ranks to more recognizeable names?

• No, keep it like it is.
    • Yes, change the rank names.

I am considering changing the ranking structure within the group to a more "normal" naming standard, as the Romans of ancient really . . didn't have many ranks. Most folks entered and left the legions as a generic foot soldier. We would keep the "grouping" names-- Numerii, Principales, etc. But the ranks, Milites, Discerns, Squiggilysaurus (so on and so forth) would be changed to fit modern Italy. Privates, Corporals, Lieutenants, Captains, etc, etc.

Thoughts?

(Poll added.)

I like the grouping names, always have, always will. But sometimes it gets downright confusing explaining yourself. Particularly if you're E3.

We could always take the middle ground and allow people to use the Rome-style titles, as well as more modern Italian ranks, or assign the Roman titles for specific duties so that we can still retain our 'unique flair' compared to other groups.

Sesquiplicarius, am I the only one who memorized it pre-schola LOL.

I love our ranking system, its unique and gives us the "edge". Last thing I want to sound like is a CATI SARGANT (purposely spelled wrong). We already added the rank equivalency in the handbook, anyways :o

Milites, Discens, Sesquiplicarius, Tesserarius, Vexillarius, Decurion, Duplicarius, Triplicarius, Salararius, Optio, Centurion, Legates, Imperator.

Private, Lance Corporal, Corporal, Sergeant, Staff Sergeant, Master Sergeant, Sergeant Major, Warrant Officer One, Warrant Officer Two, Captain, Colonel, General, God.

keeeeeep it

I offer an alternative -

Provide the modern equivalency (Private, Lance Corporal, etc.) as a side by side of the Classical Roman ranks we currently use. This allows us the option to use either one when addressing an individual, without having to replace the old system and gives new recruits a foot up in understanding our rank structure.

As an example of how to do this:

Roman | Modern | Class-Rank

Milites | Private | Enlisted - 1

This presentation is easy to read and understand, with a blurb prior to the diagram.

I'd like to keep the roman uniqueness, but we could probably change some of the names so they arn't so silly and are a little more contemporary in meaning. So, it simply isn't Triple Pay (Triplicarius) Billy in direct-ish translation.

Some of the ranks I do like, like Legates and Centurion. But, enlisted ranks are a little messy. Choosing new ones that were unique was tough back then so I imagine it would be now.

So, I'm somewhere in the middle on this.

Change is a good thing. Without change there's no progression. This is not a matter of fixing something that doesn't need to be fixed, for everything requires improvement. I could probably memorize a new set of rank names and numerical values in 60 seconds or less.

I'd say keep it as an option, It's fun to see people go 'ooh pretty' like they would if you dangled a shiny object in front their nose when I mention a rank lol.

Seriously though we should keep it at least in part, When I'm dealing with Foreign Military personnel or Civilians I'll go under the closest modern equivalent first so they can get an idea how structures compare and prevent total confusion (perhaps this should be a policy when dealing with exterior entities?), then stack the Latin on the end for some flare, it adds a taste of originality to the mix that's value shouldn't be ignored.

The rank names themselves need alittle work, the age old E-3 Sesquiplicarius being the butt end of many 'he-whos-rank-I-can-not-pronounce' jokes and all. I'd still try and use the Latin between Ordo, makes things just a little more authentic, and we do assume that if you made it though Schola with your sanity intact you'll have a fair grasp of them anyway, but maybe it could be an either or situation like Agares suggested, I wouldn't mind being called Warrant Officer or Triplicarius, Though I'd prefer Triplicarius :3.

I offer an alternative -

Provide the modern equivalency (Private, Lance Corporal, etc.) as a side by side of the Classical Roman ranks we currently use. This allows us the option to use either one when addressing an individual, without having to replace the old system and gives new recruits a foot up in understanding our rank structure.

As an example of how to do this:

Roman | Modern | Class-Rank

Milites | Private | Enlisted - 1

This presentation is easy to read and understand, with a blurb prior to the diagram.

I do have to agree here, The schola personnel have the opportunity to understand and relate to the real world. I honestly think that they would be able to understand with one time of an instructor explaining it to them and then having a chart...